Review by Shwetha H S
Caution: This book is only for people who find solace in the chaotic world of science and equations and not in the ignorant world surrounding it.
What If? by Randall Munroe is a collection of certain “queries” submitted to a segment What If on his website xkcd, which by itself is hugely popular. The author is a talented individual who has a knack of combining humor with science. Pick up this book only if you appreciate science or comics or combination of both. Still not getting what I am trying to say? Then, I don’t have any other option left than citing some of the absurd question from the book:
* If every person on Earth aimed a laser pointer at the Moon at the same time, would it change color?
* Is it possible to build a jetpack using downward-firing machine guns?
* If everyone put little turbine generators on the downspouts of their houses and businesses, how much power would we generate? Would we ever generate enough power to offset the cost of the generators?
* What would happen if lightening stuck a bullet midair?
* If everyone on the planet stayed away from each other for a couple of weeks, wouldn’t the common cold be wiped out?
* I read about some researchers who were trying to produce sperm from bone marrow stem cells. If a woman were to have sperm cells made from her own stem cells and impregnate herself, what would be her relationship with her daughter?